Monday, January 11, 2010

Go Grizzlies!

We all know who the sports fan is in our family -- at least she picks her favorite teams because that's what everyone she knows at school does. I've talked about taking her to a BYU game sometime, but Brandon suggested I take her to a Jazz game. I wasn't too keen on the idea of fighting that many people and finding parking, etc. Then about two months ago my OTHER daughter (Sophie) picked up a Jazz schedule from a restaurant we were at. She came home and circled the game she wanted to go to. Wanna know how she picked the game? The mascot. She found this "cute" grizzly bear that the Jazz would be playing and decided we would go to that game. I told her that would probably be a good date idea, and tucked it away in the back of my mind. But Sophie didn't forget. Two days before the game she reminded me. I wasn't worried about getting tickets, because this was a Wednesday night game and not a real popular team. Not to mention my kids have this crazy affection for getting back row seats, so I didn't even have to worry about getting good seats. So Wednesday morning I got on KSL and found someone selling tickets. She emailed them over to me and Sophie and I had a date! That afternoon Sophie made a sign to cheer on her Grizzlies (Memphis). I have to admit, I was a little bit embarrassed to cheer for the Grizzlies at a Jazz game, but earlier that day Brandon had pointed out that the Jazz's mascot is also a bear! I had to point that out to Soph. She still wasn't sold on it, but she now said that she didn't care who won. However, at the game she was so happy when her Grizzlies were winning, and she frowned a lot when the Jazz scored. She even caught me cheering for the Jazz a few times, and I don't think that went over too well. The Jazz won by twenty-some points. Sophie came home and asked Brandon if we could move to Memphis. I don't know about Memphis, but Tennessee is definitely in my top 10. Thanks for the fun date, Sophie.

2 comments:

Monty and Kristin said...

Such a funny story!! I love it! What a great mom you are! You got tickets. I probably would have just watched it on tv and got some popcorn, but I'm not as good a mom as you. This story is priceless. Hey...the bear is on the California State flag!;)

Rossatron said...

Well no wonder I didn't see you two in the stands. The camera men never cue in on the people that are rooting for the away team.
Way to go Candi!