Friday, August 13, 2010

This Little Girl Got Baptized

Last Saturday was the big day for Soph. For the longest time she didn't want to get baptized, which was ok by me. I really wanted this to be her choice, and not something she felt she HAD to do. She would say she wanted to do it when she was either 10 or 20 (the age Brandon was when he got baptized). Then about January something just kicked it. Maybe it was another kid in her primary class who got baptized -- I don't know, but she had clearly changed her mind. The planning began. She got herself a binder, drew a picture of her dad baptizing her to put in the cover, started planning a menu for the luncheon afterward, and started making phone calls asking people to do things for the program. And of course there were the pictures she bugged me about forever. At least we didn't have to worry about a dress -- Grandma had taken care of that a long time ago.

Unfortunately, Ross was going to be on his honeymoon, Dallas had to get back to Indiana, and Jason had a family reunion on his wife's side so she didn't have a lot of Priesthood holders to come. She was very stressed about that. She got her best friends dad, Quentin, to be one of her witnesses, but she really wanted a lot more people in the circle to confirm her. I think it was just fine, and everything went well, but she was worried.

Grandma Lark didn't make it in the picture, but she was there. We overheard her the week before saying she probably wouldn't make it (she feels like she's a burden and more work to everyone), but Sophie went and told her that she'd really like her there. It must have worked because she showed up.

It was a special day for Sophie, and I'm glad she had so much fun planning it and getting excited about it. I hope it was everything she hoped for. She's a special little girl.







2 comments:

Monty and Kristin said...

Yay Sophie! Good for you for making the decision to get baptized!! How special to have your dad baptize you. You look so beautiful in all your pictures. I wish we could have been there. I'm sure the spirit was strong and I know Heavenly Father was so proud of you. You're a wonderful girl.
Congrats Candi! Now both your girls are accountable. So sweet.

Dad said...

Sophie, if you want your grandma Lark to be someplace you need to ask me not her. She will always want to go. She needs me to be her wheels. You do look great in white. How long does it take you to change clothes?